Friday, February 7, 2014

Artificial Colors

I've been doing a lot of research into what goes in to our food. As a culture I think we've gotten so accustom to convenience foods that we don't make much from scratch any more. Food from scratch takes time, time we often don't have. 
Though I know I can't make everything from scratch, I have become more cognizant about what is in those convenience foods that I have to resort to at times. 
Something our family is trying to avoid as much as possible is artificial coloring. Specifically the reds, blues, greens and yellows. I am shocked at what foods have colors put in as an ingediant. White marshmallows have the color blue added. This can of biscuits have both red and blue added. 
Thanks to Pinterest I have found some easy ways to make homemade busy-night friendly. I made freezer biscuits tonight which I will freeze and pull out individually and make as needed. It makes much more sense (and less wasteful) to do this then make a can of 8 or 10 when the kids would like 1 biscuit for breakfast. 
I don't see myself becoming "crunchy" soon but I am seeing the importance of paying attention to what we're putting in our bodies. 

4 comments:

Mom said...

You make your momma proud!

Rich said...

I think that's smart, but also, based on the label you showed a picture of, you should be equally concerned with Hydrogenated Oil -- it's absolutely terrible for you. You probably already know, but they're unsaturated fats that have been "fed" hydrogen to make them saturated fats. They're even worse than saturated fats because they replace saturated fats in the body that are intended for good use (in limited quantities of course), but the chemical bonds don't always line up properly causing unintended chemical reactions that can damage healthy cells.

Robyn said...

Exactly. We're avoiding that and high fructose corn syrup as well.

Rich said...

Good call!