Sunday, September 30, 2018

Meal Planning/Shopping

I'm giving my meal planning and grocery shopping a makeover.  Last month I did an awesome job tracking what I spent at the grocery store.  That's where the awesomeness stopped.  I went over our grocery budget by over $200!  I was attempting to have a big shopping trip every two weeks (so twice a month).  We would run out of perishables before then, so I found myself stopping at the store several times a week to get fruits, vegetable and milk and then finding a way to spend at least $40 at those little trips.  This month I'm trying something new.  I've made a meal plan for the entire month and I am planning to shop on Sundays for one week at a time.  I'll make sure I have everything on hand for this week's meals.  If we run out of perishables, we can hold out until the next Sunday.  Today, I shopped at Aldi's and Sam's Club.  Though I've shopped at Aldi's before, I had never planned a shopping trip around what I could buy there.  I was astounded at some of the great deals I was able to get!  I normally buy the kids Nature's Own bread due to the fact that it does not have artificial colors, flavors or high fructose corn syrup.  It runs anywhere from $1.99-$2.79.  Today, I was able to get the Aldi's brand of bread (with the same requirements) for $0.75!  There were several other deals like that including bananas for $0.30/pound.  
I am also a big fan of Google Keep.  It's a part of the G-Suite that makes grocery (and other) lists so easy and accessible.  I'll keep you updated to see how this goes!


1 comment:

Rich said...

Good luck, I've had the same issue trying to stock up on stuff, ends up wasting more because stuff just doesn't last. Glad you guys have enlightened me to organic milk at least, that has helped quite a bit. I also bake almost all of my bread, which is easy since I always have the ingredients, just have to get a jar of yeast every few months. That probably wouldn't work as well for a family though if you go through a lot of bread. Anything that's really perishable I try to buy the day, or a day or two before, I need it at lunch during work and keep in the work fridge then bring home with me. I'm sure a week at a time will work out good too!